12.03.2011

Looking back at the past 20 years...

Can't believe Jodi TURNS 40!

Dear friends and family, with deep gratitude: thank YOU for being a part of my life... by knowing you my life has become rich and full-Thank you!

Looking Back...

1990 Special thanks to Linda Snow for encouraging me to audition for Disney on Ice and Stephanee Grossecup for helping me find the joy in artistic skating at an early age.

Wow, I can't believe how time flies. Feels like the last 20 went by so quick! Reflecting back over the years, I could only feel such deep gratitude for the friends and family in my life who have shaped me and given me such joy!

Let's see... turning 20 I was on the road with Disney on Ice performing in Dublin, Ireland. What a time! I remember our next city Belfast turned out to be such an experience... With the streets lined with tanks it was a war zone with the IRA. A bomb blast the hotel beside us blowing out windows and shaking our hotel. We all ran downstairs in our pj's.. it was quite an experience. The day after leaving Belfast we read in the paper that our hotel had also been bombed to the ground!

The next five years were filled with fantastic experiences traveling and performing around the world. Japan, South America, Europe, the States. I was so lucky to work with and learn from such great people! I met dear friends in the show and want to thank you all deeply for your friendship. (It has been so fun re-connect with some of you in recent years!)

South Carolina with Magic on Ice was such a great experience being in a "stationary" show. A big thank you to Leary Ice Productions for making me feel part of the family.

After a couple of more show escaped(s) Hawaii, South America and Japan finally decided to settle down and get an education. What a wonderful experience studying choreography and dance, my passions! This was a great time of learning while I taught skating and waited tables to pay the bills. (loved my students!) The modern dance department taught me so much from the inside out. Learning dance from the inside out and humbling me to work harder on more levels than I thought possible.

Next, the Olympics! I felt so blessed answering a little voice inside my head that said- Go check out this sign for interns at the University of Utah. It led me to a job with the Olympic Ceremonies helping to coordinate the skaters for the Opening and Closing. Wow, what a wonderful team of talented people! ...being able to perform the Opening was only a dream come true. This experience was once in a lifetime, and everyone I worked with touched my life profoundly. I will never forget my Olympic family.

At the Olympics I learned that my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. (she is going on 10 years without a trace!) decided to go spend time with her in California. Re-thinking my dream to move to NY and pursue dance and skating I looked for a job in the bay area. What a blessing stumbling on Ballet San Jose and being able to spend 5 wonderful years with some of the best. Working with Ballet GREATS, being able to teach and choreograph projects was an amazing experience I will never forget. ... so many talented children inspired me on a daily basis. Oh yea, and I can't forget my side-gigs. Being a professional cheerleader for Lacrosse--who would have thought?

American Ice Theatre- so thankful for Melanie Kopek for suggesting I pursue my dream of starting a dance on ice company. Without her enthusiasm and support of our awesome board, I probably would have left skating far behind... But thanks to her I have had almost 8 years working with the most talented, supportive, and fun people. Special thanks to Kim, Liz and Billy for keeping it going in the Bay Area and Rebecca for being the first AIT skater!

I also have to give a shout out to my friend Judy Edmunds who I met in France in 2003. She helped get me involved with the "Theatre on Ice" program and it has been such a joy sharing my passion with like-minded, fabulous creative people.

During my "single" years in the Bay Area I have to especially thank my friends at the Stanford ward! It was a turning point in my life to be surrounded by so many accomplished, true, honest and upstanding people. Your examples gave me faith in something bigger and better in life. I renewed my faith and received amazing peace and blessings. ... not to mention my FANTASTIC husband! Thanks Bishop Peery for that!

The Lord answered my prayer for a husband, but not just any husband--(I had a long list of criteria... ) two days later while sitting in an apartment stairway Mr. John L. Haller Jr. introduced himself. Little would I know we would be married a year later! My Prince Charming. Five years later we have two lovely sons: Jackson and Justice. I couldn't be more blessed.

Life is not only roses, but I am grateful for the physical challenges I endured (2 miscarriages and a gallbladder surgery, all in 3 years.) Mostly I am grateful for the family and friends who helped pull me through... thank you!

After playing "mom" for a couple of years I got a call to help out with Redwood City Ice Theatre. What an amazing time working with the team! I miss you all. Thanks for all you taught me. Jackson sure misses "his girls"...

That takes me to today--relocating to Chicago with John's great new job. Special thanks to my friends who introduced me to Ice-Semble! I am really excited to be working with them. Also, I am really excited about the future-meeting people like Kate and Garrett who are carrying on the passion for the ART of skating...

But mostly, it is in the small moments: dancing with my kids in the living room, seeing Justice's smile, or feeling the love and respect of my husband that makes my life complete!

Wow, what a fabulous life I have had so far! Thank you, Thank you for being a part of it. Inspiring me, supporting me, befriending me. I love you all. Looking forward to the next 40!

Special thanks to my family for their love and support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment